Preparing a Hospital Bag
You never know when it might be needed. Preparing a Hospital bag in advance is a sensible idea saving you and your loved ones stress. When you suddenly learn that you or a loved one needs to go to the hospital you panic, don’t you?
Stay in Control
By having a hospital bag packed in advance you can stay in control of what you take with you. You can also make sure you have everything you need to make your stay more comfortable and less boring! Preparing a Hospital bag in advance ensures you take what you want and need with you in the event of an emergency admission. By and large most women expecting a baby have theirs packed months in advance.
Firstly you should pack an up-to-date list of your medications and if possible a recent prescription showing the doses you take.
Other essential items to pack include:
- Any medical planning you have in place such as an LPA for Health
- Your favourite sleepwear. Nighties are comfortable but you might find PJs more suitable in a hospital
- A dressing gown, thick cardigan or fleece
- Socks in case you get cold feet
- Comfortable underwear
- Washkit including shaving items and any chargers you may need
- Wet ones
- A spare mobile charger
- A list of friends and family if they are not on your phone
- Some cash for the hospital shop
- Something to read or a puzzle book to pass the time
- and anything else that is special to you and makes you feel relaxed and yourself.
- Plastic bags for your dirty laundry
- Finally, some daytime clothes and footwear for your discharge day should you be rushed in at night.
Preparing a hospital bag won’t take you long and it’s a good idea to keep it somewhere it can be easily accessed. Your wardrobe is an ideal place.
Any fairly roomy holdall is ideal. If you want to buy one for the purpose, equally you don’t need to spend a fortune. It’s a good idea to label your bag with your name and mobile number in the event of you being separated from it. This is unlikely but you don’t want your planning going out of the window!