“When you’re caring for others, who’s caring for you”.
Being a carer can be hard work, you can read my honest and personal article on the subject here. I am a huge believer in care for the carer and welcome this opportunity to introduce you to a course for carers called “Looking after me”. The course is offered for adults caring for someone with a long-term health condition or disability.
It is about the needs of you as a carer and about making time, sometimes trick, to look after your own health needs. it is aimed to help you take more control over your situations and make a difference to your life.
What does the course cover and who provides it?
- Relaxation techniques
- Dealing with tiredness
- Healthy eating
- coping with feelings of depression
- communicating with family, friends and healthcare professionals and
- Planning for the future.
- What does it not cover ?
- Carers’ rights
- State benefits
- Practical caring skills such as lifting, and handling.
The course is part of the Expert Patients Programme which is a community interest company
Who can take part ?
The course is available to any adult providing help to a relative or friend who is elderly, disabled or in need of emotional support. It is run over 6 weekly sessions each lasting approximately two and a half hours.
This is a great opportunity to meet other people in a similar situation and make new friends. It is also a break from caring for a few precious hours.
How can the course help you?
Taking part in the “Looking after me course” will help you learn new skills to help you cope with your role as a carer. It will also give you the confidence to take more control.
People who have taken part in the course have reported they felt;
- More confident and in control of their lives
- Managed their caring role more effectively
- They were more realistic about the impact of caring on both themselves and their families
- It helped them develop better relationships with health and care professionals
- Use their skills and knowledge to lead a fuller life.
To find a course near you or to find out more information you can phone this Freephone number 0800 783 8944 or email email@example.com. You can also visit their website Expert Patients Programme .