The Disabled Persons Railcard.
Costing £10 less than the Senior Citizens Railcard ( at £20 ) the Disabled Persons Railcard will also save one third off all rail fares making pensions go even further and bring family members closer.
To qualify for a Disabled Persons Railcard someone elderly needs to have one of the following;
- Need to be registered as having a visual impairment
- Registered deaf OR use hearing aids
- Receive Attendance Allowance
- Receive Disability Living Allowance
- Receive War Pensioners Mobility Allowance
- Receive War or Service Disablement Pension for 80% or more disability
- Be buying or leasing a vehicle through the Motability scheme
I think many more elderly people should be taking advantage of the Disabled Persons Railcard. I found the easiest way to request an application form by phone by calling 0345 605 0525 (7am to 10pm Monday to Sunday). The form was sent out promptly and it made it easier to provide evidence in the form of photocopies rather than scanning documents.