What do you do? I am only a home help.
When people used to ask me what I did for a living I used to say “I am only a home help”.
Now many years later I realise I am only a home help that;
- Enables my elderly people remain at home for as they wish and feel safe to do so with dignity and pride
- Saves my elderly clients vast sums of money and means they don’t have to sell their home to pay for residential care
- My work and care protects their adult children’s inheritance which is so important to the elderly of their generation.
- My work and care allows adult children to further their education and careers
- My job allows adult children more time with their children and grandchildren
- Helping my elderly clients stay well and safe at home also saves local councils and central Government thousands of pounds each year.
Never again will I say “I am only a home help”. To all you domiciliary carers who do such a wonderful job, hold your heads high and be proud of what you do. Surely we have one of the best jobs in the world ?