Protecting your eyes – Macular Degeneration
The largest cause of sight loss in the UK is age related macular degeneration. This debilitating condition causes the loss of central vision resulting and whilst you cannot change your age or family history of eye health there are some lifestyle changes that may help to protect your eyes.
- Do not smoke, this is the most important self-help measure someone can take to protect sight.
- Do not drink to much alcohol
- Maintain a healthy weight and blood pressure
- Wear glasses that block UV, blue light and block glare.
- Wear a hat with a wide brim or a visor in the sun to protect your eyes from direct sunlight
- Have regular sight tests, monitor your vision for changes
- Eat a diet containing plenty of fruit and leafy vegetables
- Maintain diet which is low in saturated fat and contains plenty of Omega 3 fatty acids found in oily fish and walnuts
Back to smoking…. Smoking increases the risk of Macular degeneration and women smokers aged over 80 are 5 times more likely to develop the disease. Excess alcohol causes the eye muscles to weaken and blood vessels to enlarge.